According to Campingship, Scio, Ohio is located in the heart of the Buckeye State. It is nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, and its landscape is made up of rolling hills and lush valleys. The climate in Scio is typical for Ohio—warm summers and cold winters. In terms of history, Scio was first settled by Europeans in 1797, when Thomas Finley purchased land from Native Americans. Over time, it grew into a bustling town with a thriving economy based on farming and coal mining. Politically, Scio has always been a Republican stronghold.
In terms of schools, Scio has an excellent school system that serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. There are two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school located within the city limits. The schools have consistently earned top ratings from state and local education agencies for their academic excellence. Other educational institutions include Ohio University’s Eastern Campus and Hocking College’s Scio Campus.
When it comes to landmarks, there are many throughout the city that draw tourists from far away places to visit them. Some of these include: the historic Scio Church (built in 1820), the William Henry Harrison Monument (erected in 1840), and the beautiful Liberty Park (which features walking trails along with picnic tables). Additionally, there are numerous antique stores throughout downtown Scio that attract visitors who are looking for unique items to take home with them as souvenirs.
In terms of economy today, agriculture still plays an important role in Scio’s economy but other industries such as manufacturing have grown significantly over recent years as well. This has led to an increase in employment opportunities for local residents which has helped spur economic growth throughout the area. Additionally, tourism continues to be an important part of Scio’s economy due to its many attractions including historical sites and outdoor recreational activities like fishing and hunting which draw visitors from all over Ohio and beyond.
Population: 799. Estimated population in July 2020: 781 (-2.3% change)
Males: 362 (45.3%), Females: 437 (54.7%)
Zip code: 43988
Median resident age: 41.3 years
Median household income: $23,214
Median house value: $51,600
Races in Scio:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.9%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (19.6%), Irish (15.3%), United States (12.5%), English (7.9%), Polish (6.5%), Dutch (4.5%).
Elevation: 971 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Scio, Ohio is a small rural town located in Harrison County. It has a population of just under 1,000 people and is located in the Appalachian region of the state. The town has a strong sense of community and is known for its friendly people and laid-back atmosphere. Most of the population is Caucasian, with some African American families living in the area. The median age is 41 years old, with about 29% of the population under 18 years old and 11% over 65 years old. As far as education is concerned, Scio has one public school which serves grades K-12. The school district also includes two other small schools, an elementary school and a high school. The average household income for Scio is around $40,000 per year and most of the residents are employed in either agriculture or manufacturing related jobs. There are many local businesses that serve the town’s needs such as grocery stores, restaurants and gas stations. Scio also offers a variety of recreational activities including fishing at nearby lakes and hiking trails throughout the area. Additionally, there are several churches located within the town limits which offer weekly services for those who choose to attend them.
For population 25 years and over in Scio
- High school or higher: 80.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 8.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 36.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Scio village
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 47.7%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 12.0%
- Divorced: 15.6%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -48 (-5.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Scio:
- HARRISON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; CADIZ, OH)
- TWIN CITY HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; DENNISON, OH)
- FOX RUN HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; ST CLAIRSVILLE, OH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Scio:
- AKRON-CANTON REGIONAL (about 43 miles; AKRON, OH; Abbreviation: CAK)
- PITTSBURGH INTERNATIONAL (about 61 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: PIT)
- YOUNGSTOWN-WARREN REGIONAL (about 66 miles; YOUNGSTOWN/WARREN, OH; Abbreviation: YNG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Scio:
- CARROLL COUNTY-TOLSON (about 11 miles; CARROLLTON, OH; Abbreviation: TSO)
- HARRISON COUNTY (about 13 miles; CADIZ, OH; Abbreviation: 8G6)
- PARSONS (about 17 miles; CARROLLTON, OH; Abbreviation: 5D6)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Scio:
- MOUNT UNION COLLEGE (about 36 miles; ALLIANCE, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,188)
- WEST LIBERTY STATE COLLEGE (about 38 miles; WEST LIBERTY, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,453)
- STARK STATE COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 41 miles; CANTON, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,324)
- KENT STATE UNIVERSITY-STARK CAMPUS (about 41 miles; NORTH CANTON, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,053)
- KENT STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 54 miles; KENT, OH; Full-time enrollment: 18,677)
- UNIVERSITY OF AKRON MAIN CAMPUS (about 56 miles; AKRON, OH; Full-time enrollment: 16,801)
- YOUNGSTOWN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; YOUNGSTOWN, OH; Full-time enrollment: 9,726)
Public primary/middle school in Scio:
- HARRISON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 345; Location: 322 W MAIN ST; Grades: 07 – 08)